Skip to main content

(film review) - 22 Jump Street

So, I remember when my boys first told me about 21 Jump Street. They both went to the cinema to watch it and said to me, well if I can remember the exact verbatim, "Bruv, you really need to see that film, it is soooooo much jokes, too funny" and I instantly thought of the trailer and was like, "ehh" and literally replied, "It just didn't look that funny or that appealing". After they reassured me, some months later I watched the movie and boy was they right. Although I'm not sure if I find it funnier than the Other Guys or maybe the comedy was more consistently laced throughout the movie, where the Other Guys to me, has sections of hilarious comedy, I still felt that 21 Jump Street was hilarious and I would indeed need to watch the sequel when it comes out.

And right off the bat, the sequel to 21 Jump Street, 22 Jump Street is totally BEYOND HILARIOUS!!!

As the film starts, it gives you a brief outline of what the first film was about with both Morton Schmidt (Jonah Hill) and Greg Jenko (Channing Tatum), then it literally pics up where the last one left off. I was not given the impression that a lot of time has passed since the last film. As I really can't be bothered to type a lot about this film and tell you bits and pieces because, 1, it is a comedy and I can potentially spoil the gags/sketches and 2, I don't want to give away the story for spoilers sake, I Just want you to know that, they have upgraded to 22 Jump Street, they have another assignment and the comedic levels have sky rocketed to more silliness, more insane stuff and just much more laughs guaranteed.

Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill are brilliant together. The chemistry is excellent and the comedic timing could not have been any better, this time around. The way they capture their characters are spot on. Especially as this is a sequel, nothing was left out in the gap from 21 to 22. Ice Cube as Captain Dickson was the same as before, but excellent and a slightly bigger role. If you are quick enough as me as I was possibly the ONLY person in the cinema who caught the Ice Cube reference in the film, this film is very cleverly written. From old school culture to pop culture and out of the box/4th wall references, this film is just intelligent. Very self aware of what it is and that is a well written comedy. The pacing was great and although some gags fell a little flat on me, majority of the films comedic elements were delivered very well.

My favourite bits from the movie that absolutely sold the film to me (Hopefully this isn't considered as a spoiler)...The Twins. The New Twins. The homosexual referencing. The Grenade. The Schmidt Fight. The Parents coming to school. The Police Update after the parents coming to school scene. The beach. damn, I think the list actually goes on. #Sigh.

Brilliant film. Go and Watch it.




Comments

Popular Posts of the Last 7 Days

(trailer review) - Alien: Romulus

(trailer review) - The Fall Guy

Popular Posts of Last Year

(trailer review) - Secret Invasion

(trailer review) - Loki: Season 2

(trailer review) - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3