Skip to main content

(film review) - A Royal Night Out

Not something I would have planned to see as I was completely unaware of this films existence. A friend of mine had asked me if I wanted to join them to watch this film and I said, "Yeah, sure" as I wasn't doing anything and well, why not? I do reviews, right?
So, as I understand, this film isn't even out yet and I am watching this film based on a special screening, but I won't spoil the film other than give you a general synopsis, what I thought of the film along with the acting and what I got from it.

Heir to the British Throne, Princess Elizabeth (Sarah Gadon) seems restless with being Royal. Everything she says and does is open to scrutiny which may reflect badly on the Royal Family so there isn't much she can do outside of the royal home. She feels she has no sense of adventure and she cannot be normal. Her sister Margaret (Bel Powley) is the more adventurous, mischievous and care-free out of the two of them and she devises a plan to go out to celebrate VE Day with her sister. After the initial "No's" from the Queen Mother (Elizabeth I)(Emily Watson), King George (Rupert Everett) allows them to go out, just this once, but with a chaperone to keep an eye on them so that they do not come to any harm. Once out, the two princesses find themselves, incognito, apart, lost and in places they would never have dreamt of ending up.

A story which revolves around the future Queen of England, our current Queen. This film was fun to watch. A comedy drama with a positive and uplifting feel to it. At first I wasn't sure what genre this film was categorised under before entering to watch it, but there was humour littered all over this film along with crazy antics which made it enjoyable to watch. Some of the acting was a bit stiff, but the story wasn't too bad and based on a single night out, I never felt like the night was too long or that the scenes were forced. The only things I didn't really like about it, was the character named Jack. I found his acting annoying and a bit off. Also, some plot details were also a bit off but, I guess for the film to work, certain things were glossed over/ignored. But the main star of the film for me was Bel Powley as Margaret. Although the dialogue/script was great, her character was excellent and she did a brilliant job in playing Princess Margaret.

If you want something fun to watch, comedy with none of that over the top violence and explosion (although there is nothing wrong with that), the go out and watch this film. Charming and fun.







Comments

Popular Posts of the Last 7 Days

(trailer review) - Alien: Romulus

(trailer review) - The Fall Guy

Popular Posts of Last Year

(trailer review) - Secret Invasion

(trailer review) - Loki: Season 2

(trailer review) - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3